Are You Struggling with Removing Window Film? Don’t Panic. Over time, windows can develop a film that’s hard to remove – don’t despair though; with the appropriate tools and techniques you can restore clear and bright windows again! In this article we will take you through each step to effectively clean your windows and get rid of stubborn film.
Before You Begin
In order to begin your DIY journey, a few essential tools will be needed. Here is our recommended list:
Bring warm water, white vinegar or window cleaner, sponge or microfiber cloth, squeegee and clean, lint-free cloth into a bucket.
- To start cleaning, mix your solution. For white vinegar use equal parts vinegar and warm water in your bucket; window cleaner users should follow manufacturer’s instructions for mixing their solution.
- Use a sponge or cloth dipped in solution to wipe down all sides and corners of the window, being sure to get all corners and edges.
- First, use your squeegee to remove the extra solution and dirt from the window, starting from the top and working your way down, wiping down its blade after every pass.
- Once you’ve completed squeegeeding the window, use your lint-free cloth to wipe away any remaining moisture or streaks from it.
- If your window still contains film, the process should be repeated. For particularly stubborn film, try mixing dish soap into the cleaning solution to speed up removal.
Tips for Success
Clean windows on a cloudy day to reduce exposure to direct sunlight which may cause the cleaning solution to dry too quickly, leaving streaks behind. Work quickly as the longer that cleaning solution sits on your window the harder it will be to remove it from it’s surface.
Start by moving your squeegee in a horizontal motion and cleaning off its blade after each pass. For particularly dirty windows, consider using a scraper first to clear away any stubborn grime that has built up before beginning your cleaning task.
Cleaning windows covered by a film can be challenging, but with the appropriate tools and techniques it can become easier. By following these steps you’ll quickly be on your way to getting those windows looking their best in no time – have fun cleaning!