Microsoft may want you to use Bing, but it’s not everyone’s choice. Windows 10 lets you change the default search engine to another one. This article provides a detailed guide on how you can remove Bing in Windows 10.
What is Bing?
Bing is owned by Microsoft and operates as a search engine for the web. It offers a range of search products, such as web, video and image search, map search, and more. Bing is a powerful search engine with unique features. However, Google and other alternatives are preferred by many users.
Why you should remove Bing from Windows 10
Bing is the default search engine for Windows 10 in many areas. Bing can be removed for many reasons.
- Preference You may prefer to use another search engine such as Google or DuckDuckGo which offers different features and strengths.
- Accuracy in search results Some users feel that alternative search engines deliver more relevant or accurate search results.
- Privacy concerns Users who value privacy prefer search engines such as DuckDuckGo, which don’t store or track personal information.
Remove Bing from Microsoft Edge
Change your default search engine
How to change the default search in Microsoft Edge
- Select the three horizontal dots at the upper-right corner of Microsoft Edge to bring up the menu.
- Click on “Settings”, then “Privacy and search services”.
- Scroll down and click “Address Bar and Search” in the “Services section”.
- Choose “Change Search Engine” and select your preferred search engine from the dropdown menu.
Disable Bing Search Provider
Follow these steps to completely disable Bing.
- Go to Settings > Privacy, Search, and Services.
- Scroll down and click “Address bar” to search for it.
- Click on “Manage Search Engines”.
- Click the three-dot icon next to Bing, then select “Remove”.
Remove Bing from Cortana
Cortana’s virtual assistant in Windows 10 defaults to Bing when it comes to web searches. You’ll have to disable web search in Windows Start Menu in order to disable Bing for Cortana. Here’s how:
- Open the “Run dialog box” by pressing “Windows” + “R”.
- Press “Enter” after typing “gpedit.msc”, to open the Local Group Policies Editor.
- Navigate to “User configuration” >”Administrative templates” >”Windows Components”, then click “Search”.
- Double-click the policy “Don’t display results from the Web or search” to disable it.
- Click “Apply” then “OK”.
Note: This feature is only available on Windows 10 Pro Enterprise and Education Editions.
Remove Bing from Windows 10 Start Menu
Windows 10 Start Menu uses Bing for search suggestions. This feature can be disabled by clicking here.
- Searching Windows can be found by opening “Settings”, then clicking “Search”.
- Click on “Advanced Search Indexer Setting” under “More Search Indexer Settings”.
- Click “Advanced” and then in the window that appears, click the “File Types Tab”.
- Uncheck “url” in the “Filter Description Box” and click “OK”.
Bing integration is available in Windows 10, but it requires several steps to complete. Bing has many useful features but you may prefer to use other search engines because of their privacy or unique offerings.
It’s important to remember that simply changing your default engine doesn’t mean that you have removed Bing completely. Follow the instructions in each section to remove Bing completely from Windows 10.
Remember that these changes won’t last forever. By reversing these steps, you can restore Bing as the default search engine. Windows 10 allows you to customize your operating system according to your preferences and needs. This will allow you to create an efficient and personalized digital environment.
This guide will help you to remove Bing from your Windows 10 device, whether it’s for personal reasons, privacy concerns or better search results. Enjoy your browsing!